One of the very first things that you will want to do with your brand new WordPress website is to go ahead and start building your site’s pages. Whether you are one of those people that created your own WordPress website from scratch, or if you one built for you by a developer or website designer, building new web pages is an important task that you should master. Of course, you will also want to add the new pages to your website’s navigation menus as well. You would do this so that the visitors that come to your site can find them. So with this said, check out our “How to Create Your WordPress Website Pages” guide below.
This step by step instructional has been created to show you the basics on how to create and publish a brand new WordPress page. It will also go into detail as far as how to add the new page to your website’s primary navigation menu. Even though this post might seem like it is overkill for such a simple task as creating a new WordPress Page, we thought it a good idea to explain things in great detail to make following along as easy as possible.
Alright, let’s get right into it. How to create your WordPress Website Pages.
Why do you need WordPress Pages? What are they used for?
They differ from posts as posts usually have a date associated with the posted content and can usually go out of dat. For example, a post may include content about “What is the best car of 2019”, on the other hand an about us page typically doesn’t target a specific time, date or year.
How To Create Your WordPress Website Pages
- The first step is for you to login to your website and go to the WordPress Dashboard (admin side of your site). Once you are on the Dashboard, go ahead and click on the “Pages” link on the left hand side of the screen.
- The next step is for you to go ahead and click on the “Add New” button at the upper left hand area of the Pages page.
- This will pull up a brand new clean slate page for you to work on.
- In the box located at the very top, enter the title of your new page. For example, About Us, Contact us, etc..
- The bigger box on the bottom allows for you to add the actual content piece of the page. Here you can add text, images, links, forms, social media icons, tables and all kinds of other stuff.
- Once you are all done with the content piece of your new WordPress Page, go ahead and click on the “Publish” button in the upper right hand area. Depending on how much content you wrote up, you might have to scroll to the top to see this button.
- What publishing the page does is exactly what it sounds like. You click Publish, and whallaa; your new page is live and accessible on the World Wide Web. Now here is the kicker. Even though you published the page, nobody is actually going to be able to see/read it unless you add it to the navigation menu somewhere on your site. We will go ahead and get into the “Add the WordPress Page to the Navigation Menu” piece next.
Alright, so now that you have a brand new WordPress Page created and published, how can you get your visitors to actually visit it? Well, typically websites have a navigation system in place that the visitors can utilize to browse the different pages on a site. However, most WordPress Themes do not automatically post newly published pages into the menu.
So what this means, is that we are going to have to manually add your new page to the site’s navigation menu system. Not to worry though, this is a fairly straight forward process that you can master fairly quickly.
Alright, let’s get into the actual technicalities of adding the new page to the site’s navigation menu system.
- Go ahead and once again go to your site’s Dashboard (admin area).
- Once you are there, mouse over the Appearance menu on the left side. Click on Customize.
- Once in the Customization screen (your WordPress Theme’s Customization Area), go ahead and click on Menus (or Navigation) button. Keep in mind that the wording used for each Theme can be slightly different. If there isn’t a menu in place as of yet, you’ll need to go ahead and create a new one. If a menu already exists, you can go ahead and use that one.
- Once you have a menu that you can work with, you’ll want to add the new page to it. Go ahead and select the menu on the left side, then click on the “+ Add Items” button. Here you should see your new page with a + (plus) sign next to it, go ahead and click on that. Once the page has been added, you can click on the newly added item and change the “Navigation Label” to something appropriate.
- You will see that the new page has been added to the very bottom of the menu’s items list. If you want to move it around, you can just click and drag the new item that you just added to the exact placement of where you want your new items to appear in the menu.
- Go ahead and click on the Publish button on the upper left hand area to save, update and publish your menu.
Conclusion – How To Create Your WordPress Website Pages
As you can see from this post, WordPress Pages are a very important and essential part of a website. They are the main pages on your site and are utilized for a variety of tasks. Once again, you can use pages for some of the following: About US page, Contact Us page, Landing Pages, Blogroll Page and many more.
If you have any questions or are unsure on how to do something WordPress related, please feel free and send us a note and we will do our best to get back to you soon. Click Here For Our Contact Page.
If you would like a bit more information about creating pages within WordPress, click here.