When it comes to blogging, nothing is more important than knowing how to setup an effective blogroll page. WordPress by default displays all of your website’s blogging content in a blog-roll format. Typically, this content is found on the homepage. However, if you want to create a different page completely dedicated to housing all of your blog posts, the WordPress is going to be your best bet. This page here answers such questions as; how to create a WordPress blog post page, what is a blog page, what are WordPress posts, how to create WordPress posts and more.
What is a Blog and Why do You Need One?
A Blog is a short version of the term “weblog,” which turn describes a website that maintains an ongoing and constantly updated chronicle of information. A blog website or a blog page features a diary-format of commentary and links to articles on its own website as well as other external websites. The blog page/website is usually presented in a list of entries type of format that displays a reverse chronological order of posts and articles.
What is a WordPress Post Used For?
When it comes to writing articles and creating fresh content for your WordPress website, you have a couple of options to choose from. You can write either a WordPress post or create a static page. A post is what makes up the blog or weblog aspect of your website site. Keep reading to learn more about how to design a website with WordPress.
WordPress posts are generally used when writing about news or information based updates about a certain topic or niche. As mentioned earlier, WordPress posts are listed in a reverse order and can be assigned tags and categories. When it comes to the RSS feed that is a large part of WordPress, posts are what is typically used on your WordPress website. When someone signs up for your RSS feed, the posts that you publish will be the content that they will be seeing in the inbox. You can think of WordPress posts as an informational news article part of your website. Posts are both dynamic and constant provide the content that your visitors want to see. Posts are typically the pages that bring new traffic to your website if you do the search engine optimizing correctly.
How do you Add a Blog Post Page (Blog-Roll) To Your Site?
So now that we have learned all about posts, how would you go about creating a blog on your site? Not to worry, we’ll cover all of that here in this section. The first step in creating a new blog page where all of your posts will go to create a Blog Roll is to go ahead and Add a New Page. See below for the how-to instructions.
- From the WordPress Dashboard, choose Pages, and then click Add New. Once you do so, you will see a new page come up.
- Type in a name for this new page that you are building for your WordPress Blog. If you enter the word Blog for the title of your new page, this will become the page’s slug as well. So your blog will be located here: http://www.yournewwebsite.com/blog
- You don’t want to type anything into the Content area of this page, leave it completely blank.
- Click on the Publish button on the right hand side.
- Next thing that you have to do is to go ahead and Assign this new Blog Page so that it can be used as the Blog Roll page for your posts.
- Go ahead and go to the Settings button on the left side of your WordPress Dashboard. Select the Reading Tab / Option.
- Here you can select the page that you want to display your posts on. Go ahead and select the new Blog Page that you created and click Save.
- The last piece here will be to go ahead and add the new Blog page to your site’s menu so that your visitors can actually go there and view the posts. I will go ahead and provide a bit more information as far as how to add new and existing items to your website’s navigation menu. Continue reading to learn more about how to design a website with WordPress to learn more..
How do you Create Posts for Your Blog Post Page?
This is a super easy one. If you are trying to create a new post in WordPress, all you have to do is to go into your WordPress dashboard and hover with your mouse over the posts icon on the left hand side. There, click on the Add New button and you will be taken to the new WordPress post that you are trying to create.
Make sure to come up with a cool and SEO (Search Engine Optimized) friendly title. For instance, we called this page here “WordPress Website Design 101 (Complete Step-By-Step Beginner’s Guide)”. We purposely selected this as the title of this guide as the page provides exactly what the title specifies. The next thing is to go ahead and add content to your post as well as media (images and/or video) to compliment one another. The content that you write about should be well thought out and organized in such a manner that it would help the visitors stay engaged and interested.
Once you have the content written out, go ahead and add a TAG or two on the right side. The TAG(s) should reflect what the pages is about. You can also add a featured image to the post. The featured image is usually displayed on the very top of your post (once published) and it usually displayed on your Blog Roll (on your new Blog Page) along with an excerpt of the content from your new post.
Conclusion – How To Create a WordPress Blog Post Page
As you can see, Blog Posts and Blog-Roll pages are super important pieces of running a website. If you want to be successful, then having a good solid WordPress Blog Posts page is a must. Some websites out there focus all of their energy into writing and creating awesome blog posts that rank well. These blog posts in turn bring fresh new traffic to their website. If the website is setup correctly, then there is a very good chance for these new visitors to convert into actual customers.
If you want to learn more about “How to create a WordPress Blog Post Page” and about blogging in general, visit the official WordPress.Org Website.